Wednesday, June 4, 2008
Four's a crowd!
When Dan and I bought Koko he said he wanted her to be able to sleep at the foot of our bed once she was potty trained. Well I thought it would bug me and held my ground for a few months. Now she sleeps at the foot of our bed every night and yes, it bugs me sometimes, but I get over it. So a couple of days ago I decided that its time to train Grayson to learn to sleep in a normal bed(we dont have one so I took down one side of his crib and bought a little guard to keep him from rolling out while sleeping). The first night I was full of patience and love and it only took me about an hour-which included climbing into his crib and telling him stories till he fell asleep. He slept through the night EUREKA I had a breakthrough! Then came the next day of naptime and me teaching him how to climb in and out of the crib. Well lets just say he picked that up pretty dang quick. That night I was asleep in my bed when a little boy walked into my room and said "Mama" in a sad sleepy little voice. So I picked him up, took him back to his crib, layed him down and said good night Grayson! Five minutes later...little boy in my room... pretty much like a wash cycle, wash, rinse and repeat. Pick up, take to crib... Five minutes later pick up, take to crib etc for about half hour. So then he started getting sad and crying and I was just so tired myself I decided to see if he would snuggle me in my bed (most of you know I'm quite the snuggler so you can imagine how much I would love that). So our bed was packed with four warm bodies and I was trapped on the edge of my bed. Well it lasted about 20 minutes then I moved. And Grayson FREAKED out! Not as much as this round blonde curly haired kid in my ward, but nonetheless a good freakout for Grayson. So after a while of feeling like he was a newborn again-rocking him, patting his butt and quietly setting him down only to have him wake up again. I finally got him to sleep. Oh then at 4am he woke up screaming bloody murder because he pooped and had pretty bad diaper rash. The next morning "bags" under my eyes were an understatement. Then last night I used up my patience and love in a time span of 2 hours trying to get him to go to sleep. That might be normal for some kids, but I usually just put him in his crib and he's asleep after about 15 minutes. I was at the end of my rope and came out of the bedroom (for the sixth time) thinking I had succeeded and I said, Dan if he comes out here one more time I'm putting the crib back up. Well turns out he did, so pretty much we're postponing the "normal bed training" for now.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Yeah, I'd say you jumped the gun on that one! He's still just a little baby! Don't make him grow up too fast just cause he's an only child! Nat and I were talking about that today. We did the same with Jake and Josh (Jake was on a mattress on the floor at 15 months- Katie stayed in her crib until she was 2 1/2)! I say, if they're sleeping good, why mess up a good thing. Besides, it's not like you need the crib anytime soon, right? :)
You're right we dont need the crib anytime soon, but I've read stuff that says if he is able to climb in and out of his bed then he is ready for a regular bed...
But last night he slept through the night and is back on his regular schedule. Oh its so much better!
So, last night we had several rounds of bloody murder screaming - yes, that curly blonde kid in your ward - and I am not sure how I am sane today, I'm probably not. But like I told Matt, i will probably look back and wish I'd snuggled him more. I don't get these months back and he'll not want me soon. But this morning I am not sure I will ever wish I had nights like last night. Who needs a big kid bed anyway - they're bigger than they need to be and so there is less play space.
Oh you poor thing! It is awful that stage.
I do not envy you a bit~ I am so glad those days are over for me!
Post a Comment