Friday, September 4, 2009

All moosed out.

4 mooses in one day. Or is it meese?
Well the first sighting occurred at Silver Lake. I decided since I had use of my dad's car I would take full advantage and visit the mountains with the kiddos. We were just walking around exploring all of the little side trails. We got to the back side of the lake and decided to follow a trail down to the water to try and spot some fish. Well Grayson was about 5 feet in front of me and all of a sudden a mere 8-10 feet away a huge mama moose popped right up from the vegatation where she was resting. Knowing that moose are sometimes known to charge, and not to mention I jumped because ANY huge brown mass of animal jumping up in the wild is enough to give me a heart attack... I snatched Grayson right off that trail and ran a good distance away(poor Madison was in the bjorn and Grayson's elbow smacked her head so she was crying, and my scared reation made Grayson afraid so he was crying and I was shooshing them both in hopes not to startle the moose more). Sadly my adreneline was pumping so high I wasn't able to get a decent picture. I took 5 or 6 photos but my hands were shaking so all but this one turned out blurry.
The mountain man in action before the moose sighting.
It is so beautiful up there, I need to visit way more often!
"bye mom, I'm going on a hike."

The second sighting was that evening. My brother wanted to take his kids camping to give his prego wife a break so I decided to join them. We met up at Spruces campground and a mama and 2 baby meese/mooses were hanging out in a clearing about 200 feet away from our campground. This one would have been way more likely to charge because her babies were with her. Luckily we were able to spot her from a distance so there were no surprises.
Also, while Grayson, Madison and I were waiting for the brother to join us we met some lovely neighbors. Maryann and Scott from WVC. Coctails, cigarettes, and perma-plumbers crack. Interesting people... but they absolutely LOVED Grayson. Both running around fetching rocks for him to throw in the river, giving him cookies, high fives and all sorts of compliments. Their grandkids live in Iowa, so they were loving the 2 hours (did I mention Adam was 2 hours late?) we spent witht them. When Adam got there the kids ran around, we made a fire, had smores and saw the mooses/meese. After awhile we got in the camping trailer and watched Peter Pan. I've been wanting Grayson to see that movie really bad and haven't been able to find it anywhere. Apparently it's locked up in the vault... Dan arrived at the campsite about 10pm and I drove back home with Madison. Good. Day. No. More. Meese. Please.

1 comment:

Natalie said...

I could have told you Adam would be late, and you should know that by now! :) If he says 6...he means 7:30 ATLEAST~!