Monday, June 6, 2016

We moved to Costa Rica!

We have officially been in Costa Rica for 3 weeks!

Wow it's been stressful, crazy and fun.

When we first arrived we stayed in a hotel for a couple of nights. A hotel in the city. Which means we didn't leave the hotel at all. Luckily there was a pool and exercise room so we were able to get our wiggles out a little. We ate every meal at the hotel restaurant which was quite lovely. I'm sure you're wondering why we didn't leave the hotel and explore the city. Well one reason. Traffic. Meaning lots and lots of cars and buses driving way too fast on tiny roads. Oh and also, there is no drivers education here so people aren't really versed on driving etiquette or traffic laws etc.
After spending Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday at the hotel I called Dan at the office and told him we need to stay at our house even if all of our things weren't available yet. I told him we needed room to run. That night we went to the Wal-mart. Normally I despise it there. But at that moment for that week it was necessary. Luckily I haven't had to go back. We got the essentials... blankets and air mattresses, a frying pan, a pot, a big spoon, towels, and toilet paper.
We met our neighbors immediately. They are very nice and welcoming. Grayson became comfortable rather quickly and started climbing all the trees in the neighborhood. Which is normal. He's climbed hundreds of trees in Utah.
Friday night my neighbor invited me over to give me a demonstration on how to properly make rice and beans since my previous nights attempt was a failure. Dan got home from work and was installing a new lock on the door while the kids played outside. Grayson was climbing a tree, a branch broke, and he landed in push up position on the ground from about 15 feet up. We took him to the hospital becuase he fractured his left radius. And when I say 'we' I mean my neighbor drove Grayson and I to the public hospital (where we received free treatment) and spoke to everyone in Spanish -because no one spoke English at all- and waited with us for 4 hours. It was quite an experience.
Saturday morning all of our things were delivered and I took the kids to our neighbors for breakfast and swimming. Dan and I took turns inventorying everything for the movers as they brought it in our house.
After they finally left I thought it would be nice to hook up our washer and dryer since Dan had 2 weeks worth of laundry and the rest of us had a weeks worth. The wall had the wrong receptacle to plug in the dryer so we went to the appliance store the the hardware store to get the right one. Nobody had it! So our nice neighbor ordered it for us (it has to go to Miami then is picked up by a Costa Rican company and is shipped to her box in the city) and it still hasn't arrived. That same nice neighbor -who is going to be referred to from now on as my Tica Mama- has let me use her dryer this whole time. Hopefully we'll see the receptacle by the end of this week.
That night for dinner we went to dinner at Dan's coworkers house, and the next day we went to church, but other than that, the next 2 days I was a machine. The kids were completely neglected, but I got most of the unpacking done by Monday night. I was exhausted.
                                                                    Farewell Utah!
                                                        The view from our hotel
                                                    Doing schoolwork in our hotel room
                                                          First day at our new house
                                                    Air mattresses and Wal-Mart bedding
                                                                  Dang tree branch!
                                                               Casted and pain free!
                                                              Hanging at our neighbors
                                                      Swimming with Tiny the Chihuahua


No comments: